Monday 8 September 2014

Music Monday - Alice Cooper

As a matter of fact ...

I went to see Alice Cooper live a few weeks ago at the Molson Ampitheatre in Toronto. My girlfriend has been a lifelong fan of his and encouraged me to go when we got hold of some cheap tickets. 

Although I've not been familiar with his work, the show was incredible. The guy is 66 years old but plays, sings and owns the stage better than people half his age. Of course, he's had some practice. With a music career spanning 50 years, it's not hard to see why this guy is one of the best in the business. 





Born in 1948 as Vincent Damon Furnier, the star didn't adopt his iconic stage name until 1968. The inspiration came from a Ouija board session and Alice adopted it as a contrast to the bands heavy rock image. 


Coupled with his bizarre and often controversial stage performances, it's no wonder Alice Cooper grabbed the media and public's attention from a young age. It's definitely a name you can't forget! My girlfriend's family loves it so much they named their pet snake after him. Can't get a higher compliment than that.



To the left is a picture from the show I was at. What a picture like this doesn't show is how much he moved around. From theatrically beheading himself to throwing money into the crowd for 'Billion Dollar Babies', Alice Cooper simply does not stop.

And why should he? With a history of rock legacy behind him and enough energy to smash every gig, Alice Cooper is as relevant as ever. I'm just glad I got to see him live. 


Now it's time to really give the records a listen. If, like me, you've not had the chance to yet then maybe you should join me. 



Image Map

No comments:

Post a Comment



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...